Tuesday 2 June 2009

#191 Lace Bobbin


I arrived to work one morning (it might have been this morning or it might not) and this, lace bobbin, was placed on the open pages of my diary on my desk in my office. In truth I knew it was coming as I had a conversation with Geoff, who cleans the studios and is responsible for beautifying courtyard garden outside my office window (which is very low so I have to lean a bit to see much of the courtyard but, I do see a nice cordyline straight opposite the window) which has made what was a stark, architectural, eighties delight in pastel painted cast iron girders, concrete blocks and glass into a much softer environment that actually makes it a place you might want to sit in or like most, make mobile phone calls from. Anyway, we were talking about him leaving things hidden around my office for me to find and paint which I thought would be a great idea, almost guaranteeing I would find something of interest at some point! This bobbin turned up the next day and being a huge Vermeer fan (painter of the sublime Lacemaker) I had to paint it. This also got me thinking about other paintings I have made through this series that have a connection to other artworks. I need to do more research on this but I know I was thinking about the french painter Soutine when I painted the salami, I will find others...watch this space. For now my homage to Vermeer is oil on gesso, 16cm x 12cm.

No comments: